August 29, 2010
I over-thought the table problem; once I started to measure the area I thought I’d have to cut from the plate, I realized the missing leg wasn’t that much of a problem at all. Cleared off the table, cleaned up some shadows, and made two fat, wet prints.
Here’s the plate:
Here’s the first print:
And a detail from the second print:
Next project will be for Papergirl SF. Distribution will be in October, so I’m thinking Theme Hallowe’en. I’ve got an idea I like that I’ll pull out of hiding and clean up. More to come.
August 25, 2010
And more mistakes. This is the first proof: the tabletop needs to be cut, the jar needs to be fixed, the hard shadow on the cabinet doors should be softened, the missing table leg needs to be addressed somehow. All that aside, I really love how this is turning out. The print itself looks just like a print should, with just enough kiss (OK, not at the upper left, but nevermind that, please).
August 18, 2010
More cutting and some inking for guidance. I’m satisfied with the expressive detail on the rearward figure. The jar on the other hand, not so much. The table lines are way skewed, but I think I can work with what I’ve cut.
August 15, 2010
And back yet again to this series. I’ve transferred and added to this sketch of the farmhouse kitchen; now begins the carving. Sharp-eyed readers will immediately see how I screwed up the sun’s ray on the right. I can only promise there will be more screwups to come.
August 1, 2010
A long time ago, I was working on this print series (for Spring, a-ha-ha). I’m back to that for a little bit. This drawing needs some touching up and detail added, but is generally complete.
Green vegetables definitely, blue sky possibly, red wine maybe. I don’t work often with color, but this has given me some ideas to work through.
June 19, 2010
I’ve been stalled the past week or so, so here’s a little something for y’all to chew on: one of the concept sketches for the next cut. More soon, I hope.
May 26, 2010
And just like that, the kitchen detail print was finished.
First, I carved out the black plate
which proofed out just fine.
Then I finished the blue plate.
At the top is print 3 of 5. I did this to learn about registration, and I also figured out some things about color strengths and the matrix process. And, this was diverting enough that I feel I can go right back and finish the pig pen.