September 4, 2011
Having realized my old brayer was unsalvageable (don’t be like me, kids. Clean your brayer after each use), and having a deadline to meet, I found a solid wood rolling pin at Daiso, wrapped it in clear packing tape, and ran an inking test.
Somewhat uneven at the edges, but not gloppy in the details of the stone or body. This was a quick, late-night test; with some sleep and better-organized setup, this workaround should do the job sufficiently for the actual print (the giraffe, seen in the lower right, below).
August 4, 2011
Another quick snap; this is the first print on the new paper.
July 31, 2011
Just a quick shot of the night’s work drying. More and better images to come. And better images they are. Here we see the soaking (in water just off the boil, ended up a whole 6 hours soaking) paper/cotton shreds just before blending.
Texture of a freshly laid sheet. In the end, I did not soak the wood dust before adding it to the pulp. Testing showed soaking drew out the pigment from the wood (bad) while softening the harder wood particles (ultimately irrelevant to this project). I shook it into pulp while stirring, much like powdered garlic into a sauce.
The material you saw here, plus the wood dust you saw here, turned into these. The darker sheet, rightmost, was poured out to be twice as thick as the others.
Next project is to print on these sheets.